Healthy Oceans Coalition Coordinator
The American Littoral Society is seeking a detail-oriented Coordinator, who will be responsible for supporting the Director of the Society’s Healthy Oceans Coalition. The Healthy Oceans Coalition is a network of small and large organizations and citizens working to support full implementation of the U.S. National Ocean Policy and coastal and marine spatial planning efforts. The Coordinator will primarily be responsible for member outreach and engagement. This includes fostering close relationships with HOC members, designing member outreach and media materials, helping members utilize materials, organizing meetings and workshops, website development and updates, and designing and implementing a social media strategy. The candidate will also support Coalition members by providing assistance in the management and execution of a communications strategy in support of full implementation of the National Ocean Policy, and effectivelyconnecting the public, communities and decision-makers to the implementation process. This position will report to the Society’s Regional Marine Conservation Project Director and Healthy Oceans Coalition Director, Sarah Winter Whelan and will work with the Society’s Coalition partner, the Conservation Law Foundation.
This position is a full time position located in the Society’s Boston, Massachusetts office.
In conjunction with the Director, responsibilities of the Coalition Coordinator will include but are not limited to:
- Develop communications strategy and coordinate with HOC members to develop media stories on NOP;
- Support development of media and outreach campaigns for HOC member organizations;
- Develop sample action alerts, media toolkits, outreach materials for HOC members;
- Liaison with media outlets about National Ocean Policy and ocean planning and help coordinate with partners on media outreach;
- Develop relationships with state, regional and national reporters and pitch stories.
- Monitor print and electronic news and social media coverage and collect and distribute media clips and news analysis on relevant issues.
- Assist with production and implementation of Coalition regional workshops and trainings;
- Support HOC members in outreach to federal agencies and other stakeholder groups;
- Plan and implement HOC outreach through use of web-based social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook and coordinate with HOC members to support HOC outreach;
- Coordinate HOC events and use of outreach materials;
- Maintain and update the HOC website and social media accounts;
The Coalition Coordinator must be comfortable working with a broad range of stakeholders including industry, scientists, elected officials and community activists. This position offers an opportunity to work in a wide range of forums including federal, regional and state agencies, science and policy symposiums, public outreach events, and a variety of print and electronic media. This job does require travel, average 4-5 times a year. This is a two year funded position.
Qualified candidates will have:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Marine Science or Policy, Political Science, Communications or a similar field;
- Four or more years experience in public interest environmental advocacy, public policy and organizing around environmental issues. This is not an entry-level organizer position;
- Experience with, and knowledge of, environmental issues, particularly ocean conservation science and policy, and a passion for and commitment to the environmental mission of the American Littoral Society. Candidates should have the ability to understand and explain the science and policy aspects of environmental problems and their solutions;
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people in a collaborative fashion, to be tenacious yet flexible, determined yet good natured, and with the highest personal and professional integrity;
- Political awareness and demonstrated excellence and sound judgment in a variety of circumstances;
- Excellent analytic abilities, exemplary oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge and demonstrated use of web-based environmental activism tools, including social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook, to build strong coalitions and public action;
- Ability to work both independently and in team settings and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Good sense of humor;Must be willing and able to travel.
with the subject Line: HOC Coordinator. No phone inquiries please. We invite you to go to www.littoralsociety.org to be better informed about the work of the organization and www.healthyoceanscoalition.org to learn more about the Healthy Oceans Coalition work.
The American Littoral Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the American Littoral Society complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.